Sunday, October 20, 2013

Football, Ferris Wheels and Fun at the Pumpkin Patch

If I ever had doubts about how much I would love living in Texas - and people, I did - it was only because I had never been here in October.  70 degrees and sunny, with tons of fun things to do, without the fear that it just may be the last day before winter banishes us all to our burrows for 4+ months?  Yes, please.

To kick off the month of October, we watched General Conference.  It was probably one of my favorites ever.  Is it just me or do they keep getting better?  It was so nice to have a couple of lazy days, together as a family, eating, sleeping and being spiritually uplifted and edified.

To make up for all that rest and relaxation, the next weekend we decided to head on up to Dallas for a little football game and fun at the Texas State Fair.  David was able to find a ticket to the Texas vs. Oklahoma rivalry game, just a few seats down from his good friend from work.  No one expected the Longhorns to win, but David had a good feeling, and he was right!  If you ask David about the best moments of his life, that game is now ranked up there with our wedding day and the birth of our children.
Tallest ferris wheel in North America

Big Tex, with the Cotton Bowl Stadium in the background

The big game



View from the ferris wheel
While in Dallas, we had the pleasure of staying with the Hay family again.  I cannot say enough of my love for this family.   I won't embarrass them by telling all the details of their kindness and hospitality, but I will say this: I know few people as welcoming, loving, and genuine as this family.  They are so sweet with our little girls, and I truly feel like I'm at home when I'm in their home. Though our decision to go to Dallas was somewhat spur-of-the-moment, and they had a million reasons to be less than entirely hospitable, they made us feel like nothing could have made them happier.  Now I know that no family is perfect, but when I think about being Christ-like, I think there are few people who have achieved this as well as the Hays, and I'm a better person for having been in their home.

Sweet Berry Farms

We celebrated Afton's 1st birthday this Saturday by driving an hour out into the country to Sweet Berry Farms.  The weather was perfect, and we all had a blast.  We visited with the goats, rode the Sweet Berry Express, went through a corn maze in the shape of Texas, rode horses, ate strawberry popsicles and pumpkin spice ice cream and finally, chose a perfect pumpkin for carving.
Paisley was thrilled about the goats

Afton was thrilled too, until a goat came close to her.  Then she was just terrified.







Paisley had a blast on the giant trampoline thingy, though she didn't get much time on her feet.

Afton's birthday morning and her new birthday toys

The Sweet Berry Express, led by farmer Joe


Our little cowgirl rode solo

Afton let me ride with her



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Tanis! I'm so glad you do this. I can't believe how big the girls are. I love the picture of Paisley on the log and the picture of Afton with her birthday toys. Is that your living room? Did you get furniture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindie! I know, they're getting too big, too fast! That is our living room and we did finally get furniture. We found that having a place to sit really makes a house feel like a home! :)

      Delete
  2. Guess I should say it's Cindie Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pics! We have been having beautiful weather here, too. Though I am a little jealous of not having to wonder when winter will hit. Looks like you are having fun and enjoying your new home state :)

    Christine Bishoff

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!